Monday 13 November 2017

Guerrero Indy Wrestling - Arena Azteca Budokan 06/06/2015

This is that time, about once per year, where I decide to review some lucha, a genre I know little about. This is streaming on Powerbomb TV, and this was a really fun 45 mins

Aeroboy vs Herodes Jr vs Trauma I vs Trauma II
The Traumas don’t seem to be working together here, and when they are both in the ring, there’s a fun sense of sibling rivalry as they try to one-up each other. Trauma II coming in and just smacking I in the head sets this up nicely. Trauma II has blows that don’t just look good, they really resonate too. Trauma I gets a submission on Aeroboy by leaping into a twisting leg lock that looks nasty. II soon eliminates his brother by adjusting his bodyweight on a la majistral. The final leg between TII and Herodes is pretty fun, and at this point Herodes hasn’t really been in the match. Herodes gets the win with the brainbuster, but it’s the Traumas I came out of this wanting to see more of.

Solar vs Negro Navarro vs Pirata Morgan
Kind of a weird match to write about, as I’m far more aware of the reputations of each of these men than have experience in watching their matches – I’ve seen a little Solar and I really enjoyed the Navarro/Sabre Jr match from earlier this year – so even though I really enjoyed the match, I don’t know if this is mid-range for these guys, or where this would compare to their top tier stuff. All I can hope to do is rate this as a match on it’s own, and it’s a match that definitely makes me want to investigate further on all three. Navarro in particular has incredible mat speed that belies the slightly paunchy elder gent you see on the stand up parts. He just seems so able to make the most of any slight opening, just floating his way into a headscissors counter. Solar and Navarro seem to pair up the best on the mat of any of these three combos. I loved how Navarro will move and, without my even realising, he’d hooked an arm along the way and was working it over. When Morgan comes in, he’s got a very different approach, rather than working takedowns, he powers wrestlers down with big moves in order to apply submissions. He’s the least agile though, and it’s not such a surprise when Solar takes him down with a rolling heel hook for the submission. With Morgan gone, the two remaining men really up the speed, as if they’d been holding back until it was time for one-on-one. Again, they pair up wonderfully, until Navarro gets a hammerlock rollthrough for the submission. As I said, for all I know this could be lower tier for these guys (I suspect a younger Morgan has better stuff in the back catalogue), but for my eyes, this was terrific.

Extreme Tiger vs Flamita

This is a real change of pace, and in that respect it works. Both guys go hell for leather, and it’s a rel fun spotfest. There is a slight anomaly of a spot, where Flamita flattens Tiger’s leg with a chair on the ramp and then dropkicks it in the ropes, but given that they both soon forget about this injury and never go back to it again, it’s pointless to focus on it. There’s a few fun little bits of detail – loved Tiger disorientating Flamita on the mat, slightly dizzying him before German suplexing him into the turnbuckle. Tiger hits an insane twisting dive to the flaw, looked super impressive. Tiger picks up the win with a great looking leg capture suplex. Really quick sprint of a match, not something you’ll remember for long, but just good fun whilst it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment